Michael Yip, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering
Affiliate Professor, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
Welcome! I am an Assistant Professor in Electrical and Computer Engineering at UCSD with an affiliate appointment in Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering. I direct the Advanced Robotics and Controls Laboratory (ARCLab). We design and develop new robotic devices and algorithms to assist in surgery and other medical conditions. Please visit the lab webpage for more details of the most recent research. Below I have outlined the primary research areas and application areas for research.
Areas of Research
- Learning-based robot control
- Continuum manipulator design and control
- Snake-like robot design and control
- Biomimetic, artificial muscles for robots
- Image-based guidance and augmented reality
- Design of robotic, minimally-invasive surgical devices.
- Robot assistance during collaborative surgery.
- Medical and endoscopic image analysis for image-guided surgery.
- Augmented Reality Interfaces for surgery
- Biomimetic actuators for new classes of compliant robots and for interfacing with the human body.
- Reinforcement Learning
- Robot Motion Planning
- Model-Free Control
- Convex Optimization
- Multi-Agent Coordination
- Simultaneous Localization and Mapping
- Image Reconstruction and Registration
- Augmented Reality Interfaces
- Robot Design